SCHOOL – BASED MENTOR
The Pharo Foundation Rwanda Ltd
The Pharo Foundation (the ‘’Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organization that runs philanthropic programs as well as a for-profit arm, Pharo Ventures. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with a strong focus on job creation.
School – based Mentor (ECE and Primary Education)
Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a mission-driven, non-profit organisation that designs, funds, and operates economic development programmes to achieve its vision of a vibrant, productive, and self-reliant Africa. Over the next decade, our goal is to create maximum impact towards three critical missions:
- Empowering the next generation: Our education mission is to ensure that all students have an opportunity to access a high-quality, affordable education, and become productive citizens of a rapidly- changing
- Eliminating barriers to employment and productivity: Our productivity mission is to identify and eliminate health, financial, and structural barriers to employment and productivity for working
- Solving water scarcity: Our water mission is to ensure that people and communities across Africa have access to a safe and affordable source of water.
Pharo Foundation Rwanda has launched an exciting teacher capacity-building program in Rwanda that aims at equipping preschool and primary school teachers with the requisite skills to implement play-based learning. This project aims to improve school readiness among preschoolers, increase primary school completion rate and transition to secondary schools. Through school-based individualized teacher mentorship and coaching, envisions high-quality content delivery, safer and more exciting learning experiences, and ultimately, quality education in early childhood and primary school levels.
We are a diverse, multicultural, and passionate organisation, with over 500 employees in Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, and Somaliland. Our headquarters are in Nairobi, Kenya, and we have a liaison office in London, UK, which is home to our parent organisation, Pharo Management.
We are seeking a School-based Mentor to implement a capacity-building programme for both ECE and primary school teachers across various schools in Rwanda. This is a new and critical position in our organisation that will require a skilled pedagogue with expertise in diverse teaching methodologies, effective communication, adaptability to diverse learning styles, proven leadership and mentorship skills, specialised subject knowledge, technology integration, and a commitment to continuous professional development.
Reporting directly to the Head of Education in Rwanda, the School-based Mentor will work closely with principals and teachers across various schools in Rwanda, including Pharo School, Kigali to improve the quality of teaching and learning and the learning outcomes. In this exciting role, the ideal candidate will have an opportunity to leverage their experience in teaching, mentorship and teacher training to help increase access to quality education in Rwanda.
This position involves lots of fieldwork in various schools and may require extensive local travel.
Role: School-based Mentor
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Reporting to: Head of Education
Duties and Responsibilities
Teacher Support and Guidance
- Provide individualised support to teachers, focusing on pedagogical methods, curriculum implementation, and classroom management.
- Conduct regular classroom observations and provide constructive feedback to enhance teaching effectiveness.
- Assist teachers in adapting their approaches to address diverse learning styles and challenges.
- Design and implement professional development programmes to enhance teachers’ skills and knowledge.
- Facilitate workshops, training sessions, and discussions on relevant educational topics.
- Encourage continuous learning and stay updated on current educational trends.
Collaboration and Networking
- Foster a collaborative and supportive learning community within the schools.
- Facilitate peer learning and collaboration among teachers.
- Establish networks with other mentors and educators to share best practices.
Data Collection and Reporting
- Collect and analyse data on teacher performance, student outcomes, and professional development needs.
- Prepare regular reports on the impact of mentorship and areas for improvement.
- Develop and share resources, lesson plans, and teaching materials aligned with the Rwandan curriculum.
- Support teachers in integrating technology into their teaching practices.
Leadership and Mentoring
- Demonstrate leadership skills by guiding and supporting fellow teachers.
- Serve as a mentor and role model for teachers, fostering a positive and professional environment.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field/ have training in ECE.
- Possess additional certifications or training in educational leadership, mentorship, or a relevant specialisation.
- Minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in ECE or Basic Education.
- Knowledge and understanding of the practical application of learning through play.
- Experience across various grade levels, with a preference to those who have taught at the primary and/or ECE levels.
- Demonstrate a history of effective teaching and leadership roles in educational settings.
- Previous experience in mentorship, coaching, or providing professional development to teachers.
- Strong pedagogical expertise and a deep understanding of the Rwandan education system.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for effective collaboration with teachers.
- Adaptable and capable of tailoring mentorship approaches to diverse learning environments.
- Display leadership qualities with a focus on inspiring and guiding fellow educators.
- Ability to foster a positive and collaborative learning culture within schools.
- Experience in mentoring and coaching teachers to enhance their teaching practices.
- Evidence of successfully supporting teacher professional growth and development.
- Specialised knowledge in specific subjects or areas aligned with the Rwandan curriculum.
- Familiarity with integrating technology into teaching practices for enhanced learning experiences.
- Commitment to continuous professional development and staying informed about the latest educational trends and methodologies.
- Passion for contributing to the enhancement of education in Rwanda.
- Alignment with the goals and values of the teacher capacity-building programme.
- Proficiency in relevant languages, including English and Kinyarwanda.
Skills and Competencies:
- Pedagogical Expertise: Proficient in diverse teaching methodologies and strategies, with a strong understanding of pedagogical principles.
- Communication Skills: Effective communicator capable of articulating ideas clearly and providing constructive feedback to teachers.
- Adaptability: Demonstrated ability to adapt teaching approaches to diverse learning styles and challenges within the Rwandan educational context.
- Leadership: Proven leadership skills, especially in guiding and supporting fellow teachers toward improved teaching practices.
- Mentorship: Experience in mentoring and coaching teachers, fostering a collaborative and supportive learning environment.
- Continuous Learning: Commitment to ongoing professional development and staying abreast of current educational trends.
We will review completed applications on a rolling basis. If we identify an outstanding candidate early in the process, we reserve the right to appoint them before the deadline. For this reason, we encourage interested candidates to apply as early as possible. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only contact shortlisted candidates.
- A detailed CV and cover letter. In your letter, please state where you heard about this position or saw it advertised (e.g., website, LinkedIn, etc.).
- An essay of no more than 500 words outlining:
- What education and operational experience you have gained that would make you the most qualified candidate for this role?
- What is your plan and/or experience in implementing play-based learning?
- A one-page list of six references with current addresses, phone numbers, and email contacts (the list should contain at least 2 peers, 2 direct reports, and 2 former supervisors).
Please apply through this Link. https://pharofoundation.bamboohr.com/careers/112 not later than January 20, 2023.